At the end of July I teased that I was going to work on my skills as a machinist by doing a few tool projects. Early in August it was time to finish the tool makers clamp. In keeping with that promise I kept up on making the tool makers clamp. The Next step: threading the knurled screws. I opted to use a die rather than single point thread as I didn't want to screw up the pieces I had made thus far because I'm not great at single point threading. I kicked the lather into its lowest back gear setting and chucked the rod in the tail stock drill chuck. And let the die/chuck drag the screw inward as it cut the threads. It worked like a charm.
Next up I drilled cross holes for increased leverage when tightening... though I doubt ill need them. Turning down the threaded end of one and Parting off to length came next.
used in this build: